Saturday 20 March 2010

Mother's Day in UK gone by...

Ok I will keep my first post simple. UK celebrated it's 'Mother's Day' on 14th March 2010 (Sunday) and it got me thinking few things ...

I knew the Mother's Day was coming beforehand, but I did not take any preparation or make any special arrangement for it. You know the fancy cards and gifts, calling your mother in the morning and wishing her, or saying you love her, or spending the day with her, that kind of stuff. In fact the 'importance' of this day really struck me when I messaged one of my friends to come to this social gathering we had and she replied back saying it's Mothers Day and she's having lunch with her mother. How sweet.

I didn't know if I was supposed to feel ashamed of myself that I was not having lunch with my mother on Mother's Day or that I did not wish her at 12 am or early in the morning. Many of you might think I should be. Hmmm...

Origin of the Day
So here is a bit of digging up of Mothers Day origin and dates (courtesy: Wikipedia). Some say it came around as a follow up tradition of what used to be the honouring of the 'mother of the gods' in ancient Greece, then there is the Christian origin of honouring Virgin Mary (and the 'mother' church), and there is also the political feminist belief in USA attached to it.

Now with the origin identified, I am hard pressed to see how the very first Mother's Day had anything to do with the child's expression of love to his/her mother and honouring her out of love and respect. Bluntly speaking, that is not the reason why 'Mother's Day' came into existence.

Also, Mother's Day is celebrated on several different days, depending on the country/region. There is no universal day attached for this occasion.

So why the fuss?
I therefore ask, is there a reason for me to be ashamed of not following this pagan origin, that had nothing to do, whatsoever, with loving your mother as a child?

One might say, what's the big deal about the origin? It's what you do that matters.

I say, 'what' is normally done this day once a year, I do it as part of my habitual action throughout the year and I still do not feel I have done it enough number of times. To fix it as a one-day event in the year is simply cheap and superficial to me.

I further say, if you must know, I have "celebrated Mother's Day" throughout the year, without having to resort to a specific UK day or a USA day.

Some narrations, stories and incidents to reflect on:
I hope to write various entries on my mother and mothers in general in future, God willing. As for now, I just wish to put few narrations/incidents that the righteous people have done, prescribed others to do, and set examples that no son or daughter can emulate in the so-called Mother's Day:

1. Allah commanded in the Quran:

And your Lord decreed that you should worship none but Him and that you be dutiful to your Parents. If one of them or both attain old age in your life, then do not say to them uff (a word of disrespect), nor shout at them, rather address them in terms of honour / And lower for them the wing of submission and humility through mercy. And say, “My Lord! Grant them Your Mercy as they brought me up when I was small.” [Qur'an - Al-Israa' 17:23-24]

2. Mu’aawiyah ibn Jaahimah as-Sulamee narrates:

My father, Jaahimah, went to the Prophet Muhammad - Sal Allahu alayhi wa Sallam - and asked, "O Messenger of Allah, I would like to go out and fight for the sake of Allah, and I have come to you for advice."
The Prophet Muhammad asked him, "Is your Mother alive?" He (Jaahimah) said, "Yes."

“Then stay near her,” advised the Prophet - Sal Allahu alayhi wa Sallam, “For at her feet is Paradise!”

[Compare this with staying near your mother just for a day in a year]

3. Dhibyaan ibn Ali ath-Thowree used to travel with his mother to Makkah. There - in the scorching heat - he would dig a little pool and fill it with cool water. Then he would turn to his mother and say, "My mother, sit in this water to cool yourself."

4. A Yemeni man was making tawaaf (circumambulating around that black box) in Mecca, carrying his mother on his back saying, "I am her humble camel ..."

Then he said to the man called Ibn 'Umar, who was a companion of Prophet Muhammad, "Do you think that I have repaid her (rights)?"
Ibn Umar said, "No, not even a for a single moan that escaped her during child birth."

And finally...
I do not say that for you guys in UK who are accustomed to this type of thing, it is 'wrong' to honour and spend time with your mother on 14th March. But seriously, why 14th March 2010? Why take a pagan origin that worshipped the mother of gods and say this is your expression of love and honour for your mother? What happened on 13th March 2010? Was that day not meant to be loving and honouring and celebrating with your mother?

I am not saying people 'celebrating Mother's Day' love their mothers any less than those who do not celebrate it. In fact, love is something that can never be measured, especially with regards to one's family. I am questioning the rationale and superficial nature of this day.

For me, every single day is Mother's Day. And I regret every single day not being able to spend with my mother, every single meal not being able to join with my mother. I know my mother knows I love her, but I don't think she knows enough. Nobody but my Lord does.

For an Islamic perspective towards Mother's Day and mothers (or parents) in general, refer to: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/books/93

No comments:

Post a Comment