Thursday 15 April 2010

Hoisin Duck: Your ideal saucy Chinese takeaway

Time for some more ramble. To keep up with the rest of the 'normal' bloggers.

So I had today what is called 'Hoisin Duck'. It's a Chinese main dish that's got sliced duck with green peppers and water chestnuts in a hoisin sauce. Is it me or do all Chinese dishes are just too saucy?

When people say, Indian dish, you'd think yeah it's 'spicy'. And it's true. South Asians have a thing for extreme spice and extreme sweets. And no, that vindaloo dish ain't spicy at all. It's been watered down so that non-Indians can eat that! Similarly, when people say Middle Eastern dish, you'd think some 'meaty kebab' dish. If you're around Bristol in England, I recommend trying the Lebanese restaurant called Sands Restaurant. I went there some years back and my taste buds still haven't forgotten whatever lamb dish I had.

Anyway, back to hoisin duck. I am a meat-eater and I LOVE meat and would victimise the vegetarians. Yeah, that's me. The more meaty it is, the better. So I had good thoughts about hoisin duck but it kinda disappointed me. Maybe because I don't find the idea of cooking anything with a lot of sauce a good thing. And Chinese dishes are full of sauce. It's soya sauce AND that vinegar AND hoisin sauce or this and that sauce.

I had a Chinese housemate few years back and he invited me to this dinner and since then, I realised Chinese dishes are saucy. Maybe if you're up for a saucy meal, this hoisin duck would do just the thing for you.

How come Brits get to eat Oriental meal with chopsticks?

I'm serious. I went to this social dinner with my work colleagues last summer and we went to this Chinese restaurant. Now everybody except me started eating with chopsticks. And I can't even hold them right, let alone eat with them. So I raised this point in the table. And they reminded me the fact that Brits of the old have ruled and exploited much of the world so Brits can do it all. They are more Chinese than the new-age Chinese-Brits. It made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment