Saturday 10 April 2010

Summer in the air

People post all kinds of things in their blogs - random, useless stuff like what they eat, what they wear, which guy she dated and all that. I have kept my blog quite clean so far from such stuff but I guess it's time I ramble about useless stuff too - at least this one time. Allow.

My summer outfit

I had to go to this appointment today for some 'healthcare'. I put on a three-quarter pant, a T-shirt, a sunglass and sandals. Now that's what I call summer time! It's the only time when I can wear sandals outdoors without someone saying I wear it because I'm ethnically Asian. But I love wearing sandals. I don't have to put on socks, I don't have to wash the socks and deal with the ewww smell of it and all that thing. Nobody seems to appreciate the simple and easy comfort that sandals provide, unless it's summer or they're strolling down a beach. I mean, of course you'd have to be dumb to wear sandals outdoors during winter time, but why do you always wear socks indoors? Your feet SMELLS.

I could also put on the three-quarter pant (or shant!) and it felt good. Guess why? Because last summer, I was so fat that I couldn't fit myself in it! And now, only a summer down the line, this shant was falling off and I struggled the whole way to maintain it. So if someone says, why don't you buy a new pair that IS YOUR size? Well, there is no such thing as MY size. What can I do? I change weight like the British weather. One season I'm fat like a pig and the next season people want to be like me!

On my way to business ...

Right, you could sense summer is in the air, just by looking at your surroundings. Forget the sun; people would remind you it's summer. As I walked past the park, I could see tens of groups of people enjoying the sun as they say. Almost every other person has put on the shades just like me and almost every other guy is wearing shorts. Not to mention the girls, I guess you all know how they enjoy the sun. It's like they've been waiting for this moment their entire lives. Although I always wondered how do they not tremble and shiver on the evenings (even in winter) as they're about to hit a club wearing next to nothing? I couldn't do it! Those girls must have some balls.

It's worse in England because you don't have proper sun in here most of the year. I like saying, "Even the sun is cold in this country!". So when you have that slightest feeling of summer in the air, you get all summer crazy. It's only April, so I gotta get used to what's coming in July.

I saw a group of ladies, over 10 of them sitting in a circle on the soft grass. See, with shades on, you have the advantage of looking at people and things without them knowing anything and it's perfect for pervs (hey, I'm NOT a perv!). I mean such a huge group of ladies and not a single man amongst them - I couldn't help but wonder is that a feminist picnic on a Saturday afternoon?

The roads and streets are busy too. You have roofless, two-door cars popping up from everywhere in summer. It's good if you're a sports car fan - you'd see people banging their heads with loud music and chicks giggling inside the car. That's 'fun'. It was nice to see a South Asian couple in the city centre (extreme South). Finally some ethnically similar people! Saw a grandma and her 14ish grandson carrying grocery bags and that was the only thing that is not exclusive during summer time. Right, I'm there for the appointment.

My appointment

So I was there for some facial treatment as it's called. The receptionist told me to sit and wait so I was glancing through some of the magazines in the salon. It's been some time since I touched a fashion magazine and I tell you what, they say it's the newest trend and collections but it's all the same. It's like old wine in new bottle. You have thin-as-hell models wearing or putting on those collections and when people say is it the flesh you want me to look at or the cloth, I can't disagree. Where's all the feminists?

Now I'm not a fashion person; I never was. Meaning I don't usually buy cologne and suits from Hugo Boss or something. If I see something flashy or catchy, I'd buy it. It doesn't matter which brand it is or if this trend was so yesterday. And I'm cheap. I mean it's a sensitive word to say, but I don't like spending uncontrollably. I'd go for the £1 body spray to keep my odour away. But then a comment in the magazine caught my eyes. It's an article by one of the stylist-turned-fashion designer in England and she is probably famous to those who keep up with this kind of stuff. I forgot her name even. So she comments:

"Style is about how you wear something. It is about attitude. It is about knowing who you are"
Cool. She, an expert in whatever she does, didn't mention about 'brand' even once. Style is NOT about which brand you choose. This is soothing to read coz I can now say I've got style!

So the beauty therapist goes through this facial thing. Now last time I did it, it was back in 2009 and the therapist was quite surprised knowing it, saying I should be doing it once every 4-6 weeks. Give me a break! It costs £47 for 45 min and I wasn't quite satisfied with all that was put in my face! I've done it for something like £15 for 45 min in South Asia, and they had put more stuff and all that steam and mumbo jumbo creams. I'm not going back there next time. The only soothing thing was to hear the therapist say I've got a pretty good skin for a man. Well I try! But my forehead is a bit 'dehydrated', so I should drink more water. They also gave me a small serum sample to apply on my forehead. How nice.

The therapist ended the session by applying this moisturizing skin toner I guess and told me to leave it as it is until tomorrow morning. Good thing I cooked all that Desi dishes involving oil, turmeric and chill powder yesterday! I'm not quite sure if it made the difference I wanted to have, especially with summer in the air! Sure my skin feels more glossy, but I need to check it with my mother and aunt to see if it was worth it.

(You might have to take your top off during the session so it's best to ask for a male/female therapist of your preference and that is usually available.)

Coming back to my flat ...

It's pretty much the same. Only this time I got past this cricket field and saw there was a cricket match going on. Now I'm not the usual South Asian who loves Cricket. I find Cricket a boring sport except maybe the new 20-20 format. Oh as I am typing this, my family's come online. I gotta check my face with them!

So, summer is almost here. And people would do what they do. Just please don't put retarded comments on the internet or rape some woman or murder some man you got beef with. I've got loads of work in the coming weeks so I might not be around. And with summer in the air, I guess people are busy enjoying the sun rather than reading blog posts.

2 comments:

  1. Lol. Funny, maa sha Allaah, I enjoyed this read and your insight on the unfamiliar heat of British summer weather. It's true, that most like to savour the sunshine and bask in it's glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha this is such a shame for 'summer'. BBC weather tells me the max temp. is about 17 deg C and min is 4 deg C ... come on! This is worse than the mild winters in tropical places.

    ReplyDelete